Monday, May 16, 2011

Why Bother?

It wouldn’t be Monday if I weren’t trying to start blogging regularly again.  Except if that were true there would be a lot of Mondays that weren’t actually Mondays.  Oh well.

So today I finished cleaning my room.  I had to stay up until ten to do it, but I’m done.  I always like finishing a cleaning project, except I find that when I’m done all I can think about is what else I could do to make it even more done.  I could still organize my closet, dresser, and the box under my bed that’s full of who knows what, I could wash the sideboards, dust the blinds, clean my bedding, paint my toenails, etc. 

I can’t help but start to wonder why I even cleaned my room in the first place.  It wasn’t so bad having clothes strewn all over the floor and a myriad of objects piled on my desk.  Besides, I could never compete with my sister’s room, which has a canopy, and antique-looking desk, and a huge bouquet of gorgeous dry flowers.  It is at moments like this when my lifelong motto “why bother?” really comes in handy.  It's a fantastic motto.  Seriously, I’m thinking of getting that in vinyl on my wall.  But that could be tricky, so maybe I’ll just write it in pen.  But even that sounds too hard.  Eh, why bother?

The “why bother?” phrase is excessively useful and versatile. I can adapt it to accommodate most situations.  For instance:

Q: Sara, do you want to come to my ballet recital?
A:  And sit in an auditorium for an hour?  Why bother?

Q:  Sara, there is a (insert awesome artist here) concert tomorrow and I can get you a ticket for free.  All you have to do is sign this fifty-word document.
A:  You’re asking me to read fifty words and touch your pen with my hand?  Why bother?

Q:  Sara, I’m terminally ill and will die tomorrow.  Would you mind giving the eulogy at my funeral?  I even wrote one that you can use.
A:  So I would have to use my lips and tongue to articulate words for five consecutive minutes?  Why bother?

Anyway, it’s getting late, and I’m reaching the exciting part on my book on tape.  Except it’s actually on my iPod.  I was going to come up with a snappy ending for this blog, but…

Why bother?

No comments:

Post a Comment